Friday, January 21, 2011

Mid-Winter Blues

Let's face it, it's right after Christmas. People aren't buying a whole lot of jewelry. That's fine with me, as I don't particularly want to make jewelry right now. Maybe I'm missing the warmth and sunlight of summer. Maybe I'm sad that another year has gone by and I'm not a millionaire yet. Or maybe I'm just burnt out on the hectic Christmas scramble. Whatever it is, I could use a break!

Every year, about this time, I find myself wandering around with lots to do and not one iota of motivation to do them. And every year, about this time, I remember, "Oh yeah, I do this every year!" So what am I doing this year to make up for it, to make this year different? Well, while I'm taking a break from my usual routine for a couple of weeks, I've found a renewed passion for writing. Yesterday I picked up my pen and haven't been able to put it back down! I've written letters to friends and family (yes, real paper-and-ink type letters), I've used up several pages in my journal, found new friends online to chat to, played Tug-O-War on online philosophy forums, and now I'm landing on this blog. What I had assumed was a creative rut is turning out to be a redirection for my creative process. It's really nice!

I know that winter blues are a very common experience for a lot of people. I wonder if a bit of refocusing would bring that summer spark back!

No comments:

Post a Comment